Friday, February 27, 2009

TCP Tuesday #47

I did it! I completed a card for a challenge! (Picture it, I'm doing my 'happy I'm a rockstar' dance.)
Here it is!!!!! This is a challenge from a sketch. The amazing and talented Carole created this sketch/challenge and I loved it. In my opinion, it was an awesome sketch that lent itself toward simple lines (which I like). I prefer to make cards that are really sendable. There are two reasons behind my nuttiness on this subject. 1) I like to be able to pop a card in an envelope stick *A* stamp on it and send it away to make someone smile. I would rather not have to put cardboard in to protect it or put it in a padded envelope, etc. 2) I don't have endless cupboards filled with embellishments and honestly, they can get expensive to put on cards that *gasp* might get tossed in the ole round filing bin anyway!!

So... here's the details on how the masterpiece was created (har har).

It's an Anya stamp. The card is bazzill cardstock, as are the mats for the image (sorry, I have no idea what the name of the colors are). The patterned papers are all Sei - from the Grandma's attic/kitchen set. The flowers in the top corner came from Imaginisce (via my favorite The Angel Company representative Lisa). The brad is a Doodlebug crushed velvet brad. The little mini-flower and flower brad holding the sentiment are from Oriental Trading Company. Oh, and the sentiment stamp is from See-D's. And of course, the image was colored with my recent overwhelming obsession - copics.

How I did it... I picked papers from a line because I'm kind of hopeless otherwise. I trimmed them to size and inked the edges. I trimmed the Anya stamp and the two mats with my Creative Memories cutting system ovals. Then I inked those too!

I wanted a flower in the top corner, and I buy plain white whenever I can. I have different inks and markers - sometimes it takes a little trial and error, but then I "dye" my flowers to match my color palette. The bottom flower I left white for contrast, but I used two copic markers (E08-Brown & R59-Cardinal) to get that lovely maroon color to match the paisleys and stuff.

Most people probably already know/do this but I always attach brads to the top layer if I can. That way the inside of the card doesn't have little random pieces of metal for people to mess with ;)

Then I attached the three pieces of colored cardstock using my Zig glue pen (the one with the rollerball, it's awesome).

I figured it was probably high time to actually COLOR the image LOL! The list of copics used: C1, RV21, E00, E51, B00, Y08, E35, Y21, E47, E33, and the Spica Clear glitter pen.

My favorite technique was on the hair. I colored the Y08 (a super bright yellow) onto a sheet of acetate and then picked it up on the Y21 marker and the two blended together as I colored the hair. I think it gives the blond hair a nice look. It retains some of the yellow that makes you think BLONDE, but it tones it down enough that you don't think the kid has sunshine on her head!

To finish up, I stamped the sentiment, trimmed and inked it. I put the flower and brad on first, then glued it down, glued down Anya and whoopee, my first challenge card done!


Amy said...

Your stuff is so cute!

carole (TruCarMa) said...

Fabulous!!! Love those Anya stamps -- too cute! Thanks so much for playing with us this week!! :)

Maria said...

Wow Diana, this is great. Love your colouring and the colour combo of the DPs. Hugs, Maria